How to Create a Backyard Oasis for the Entire Family this Summer
Apr 02, 2023
It is spring, which is the perfect time to rethink your backyard space and plan an oasis perfect for your family to unwind and enjoy together.
Below are a few simple steps to create a backyard oasis your entire family will enjoy:
Plant a Beautiful Garden: A garden is a great way to bring life to your backyard. Planting colorful flowers, shrubs, and trees can create a natural and calming environment. Involve your children in gardening tasks such as planting, watering, and weeding. This will help them develop an interest in nature and encourage them to take care of the environment. Here are a few steps to think about when designing a garden:
If you're looking to create a beautiful backyard garden, there are a few steps you should follow to ensure your garden thrives and becomes a stunning addition to your outdoor space:
- Determine the location: The first step is to determine where you want to create your garden. Choose an area in your backyard that is well-drained and receives plenty of sunlight.
- Plan the layout: Select the plants you want to add and then select their location taking into account the specific requirements of each plant, including lighting needs, water requirements, and soil conditions.
- Prep and Plant: Ensure that the soil is rich and fertile by adding compost, manure, or other organic matter to the soil to provide nutrients for your plants to grow. Loosen up the soil to allow for good root development and then plant your garden, leaving adequate room for each plant to grow and thrive.
- Water and maintain: Proper maintenance of your garden is essential for its growth and long-term survival. Ensure that you pay attention to any signs of stress, such as wilting or browning of leaves. Properly watering and fertilizing your plants can help your garden thrive.
Add a Fire Pit: Adding a fire pit will create a warm and inviting atmosphere that is perfect for adults to unwind while the kids have fun roasting marshmallows and telling ghost stories. Here are the steps you can follow to build a fire pit in your backyard:
- Choose a Location: Select a location that is away from any structures or trees to ensure it is safe for use. If your location is not perfectly flat, you might have to begin by leveling the area using a shovel, rake, or other landscaping tools.
- Gather Materials and Prep the Area: You will need fire resistant bricks or blocks, a fire pit kit or ring, a shovel, and a tamper tool. Once you have all the tools, lay the bricks or blocks in a circle or square shape to mark the perimeter of the fire pit. It is recommended that the fire pit should be 18-24 inches deep and about 36-44 inches in diameter. Once the perimeter is marked, dig the fire pit to a depth of 18-24 inches.
- Installation of the Bricks: Place the first row of bricks or blocks over a layer of paver sand or gravel. Ensure that the bricks or blocks are leveled and lined up evenly. Use a mallet or a rubber mallet to adjust the blocks as needed. Once level, continue adding layers by laying the bricks or blocks in an alternating pattern, staggering the joints. Ensure that each layer is level and even, before adding another layer.
- Finish and Enjoy: Once you reach the top layer, ensure you use fire pit caps or blocks that complement the aesthetic and create a finished look to the space. Fill the center of your fire pit with sand or gravel to provide proper drainage and heat protection. Then sit back and enjoy!
Create a Play Area: Creating a designated play area for children can keep them entertained and active for hours. Investing in a custom swing set will allow you to design a play set that is perfect for your family. Working with a professional allows guidance on the design and installation of your set. Here are some trusted professionals to consider when designing a playset: Swing Set Dealers: Working with contractors that specialize in installing swing sets for residential and commercial settings allows you to design a custom swing set that fits the exact specifications of your outdoor space as well as assurance of proper installation
- Landscape Architects: Landscape architects can ensure that your landscape design, plants, and other outdoor features complement your swing set and provide an aesthetically pleasing overall look for your backyard.
- Outdoor Recreation Experts: These professionals specialize in the construction and design of outdoor spaces including swing sets, climbing structures, and other outdoor play structures. These experts focus on helping you to select a set that fits your needs and interests. They also provide guidance on the type of materials and construction techniques required to ensure the safety and longevity of the swing set.
- Handyman Services: If you're looking to save money and are comfortable overseeing the project, you can hire a handyman to build your custom swing set. However, it is important to keep in mind that certain safety measures must be followed when constructing a swing set, and it may require an additional investment in the proper equipment and tools.
Consult Additional Online Resources: There are lots of resources available online with expert advice for building backyard playgrounds.
Install an Outdoor Cooking Area: Cooking outdoors is a perfect way to enjoy meals and socialize with family and friends during the warmer summer months. Below are some things to consider when designing an outdoor cooking area.
- Plan the area: Select a level and easy-to-access space that allows for plenty of airflow and ventilation, so smoke won’t linger into other areas of your yard or airways. Avoid any locations near windows, doorways, or overhangs as these can be hazardous with smoke and heat buildup. Once your location is set, select durable materials that will withstand exposure to the elements of weather .. Common options include stainless steel, cast iron, cinder blocks, or brick pavers. Consider also the material used for countertops and storage units based on their environmental characteristics.
- Prepare the site: Clear any large roots or stones from the chosen location and grade it slightly so that water will drain away from the area. Place tarps or plastic sheets around the perimeter if needed to keep soil dampness at bay during construction work. After the space is level, lay down a solid base with level concrete footings to serve as a firm anchor, allowing it to handle more weight than simple blocks could handle alone.
- Construct walls and frames: Build walls using bricks, stones or wooden frames for support depending on what material you have chosen beforehand for the cooking area walls and countertops. Consider incorporating shelves for condiments, spices and recipes close to hand when cooking outside in addition to cabinets for larger items such as pots and pans etc.
- Install Appliances: Add gas lines where needed then connect them up carefully according to manufacturer instructions as per local regulations followed by installing an appropriate grill over your fire pit/ BBQ pit/ smoker box/ smokehouse if required making sure they are connected safely with gas lines in place (if applicable). Additionally add sink plumbing fixtures together with additional appliances like fridges or dishwashers.
- Test all connections Before Usage: Conduct a thorough test of all your connections both gas lines & water pipes before lighting up first fire or turning knobs just in case any adjustments need implementing prior usage.
- Finishing touches: Use non-combustible materials such as wood (preferably treated) whenever possible together with adequate lighting set around key features like countertops because those working alongside flame will need good illumination during darker evenings too. After all connections have been tested & safety checks completed, you are ready to enjoy cooking outdoors
Creating a backyard oasis that the whole family can enjoy is a perfect way to make the most of your outdoor space. Taking the right steps to plan a space that works best for your family, will ensure an outdoor space you will never want to leave.
No comments have been posted to this Blog Post